Often the process of pregnancy or weight gain can have an irreversible effect on your body. We can help with that!
Please note: A fee of $300 will be charged for consultations with Dr. Mark Owsley for breast or body procedures. This fee will be applied to the desired surgery. Consultations for facial procedures and consultations with our medical aestheticians are complimentary.
When a surgical improvement is your only option, Dr. Owsley can help you restore the best of yourself. Tummy tucks, body lifts and other procedures, such as thigh lifts or arm lifts, can improve quality of life and renew self-confidence for many patients.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
A tummy tuck, called an abdominoplasty, is used to remove excess skin from the lower abdomen that is loose and is often accompanied by stretch marks. It can also be that stubborn, loose, sagging skin that doesn’t regain its tension no matter how many sit-ups you do.
Despite having reached an ideal weight and exercising regularly, many women find they cannot eliminate a bulging abdomen and/or stretch marks after pregnancy. Men and women who have lost a great deal of weight may still have excess skin in the abdominal area that keeps them from having the flat, tight appearance they hoped for.
Although liposuction can remove excess fat, only abdominoplasty can remove the fat, eliminate sagging skin, and tighten abdominal muscles to produce a flatter abdomen.
During your consultation, Dr. Owsley will carefully examine your abdomen, and confirm if you are an ideal candidate for a tummy tuck. He will also point out where the incisions will be, the amount of tissue that will be removed, and if liposuction of your flank is necessary.
If fat deposits are a problem below the navel only, you may be a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty.
About the Procedure
An incision is made from hip to hip, just above the pubic area, and another around the navel to free the navel from the surrounding skin. Abdominal skin is loosened from the underlying tissue all the way to the ribs. The underlying abdominal muscle is stitched together to tighten the abdominal wall and provide better waistline definition. The skin is stretched downward and the excess skin is removed. The navel is repositioned in a new opening. A drainage tube may be placed to prevent fluid accumulation for the first 10 days.
Recovery and Typical Results
In most cases, patients are released to go home the same day as the surgery. Though the abdomen will be swollen and walking may be uncomfortable, moving around as soon as possible improves recovery.
It is recommended to sleep with a pillow under your legs for the first week to allow flexion at the hip. A compression garment is worn for 4 to 6 weeks to ensure that the skin adheres correctly to the underlying tissue and the desired shape is achieved.
Liposuction is one of the most common cosmetic procedures performed today, due to its minimally-invasive process and positive results.
This procedure effectively eliminates isolated pockets of fat that have not responded to diet and exercise for a smoother, sleeker body contour. The procedure is minimally invasive and can be used on nearly any area of the body in need of a leaner profile.
Liposuction can be used on both small and larger areas of the body, including:
- Hips and buttocks
- Thighs and calves
- Abdomen and mid-section
- Arms and back
- Neck and chin
Liposuction may be used alone or in combination with other procedures for even more dramatic results. Procedures commonly combined with liposuction include a tummy tuck, butt lift, breast lift or breast reduction.
About the Procedure
At Owsley Plastic Surgery, we perform liposuction as an outpatient procedure using either local or general anesthesia. Tiny incisions are made in the skin to insert a narrow tube called a cannula. The cannula works by breaking up fat tissue so it can then be removed through gentle suction. The incisions are small enough that stitches are often not required and scarring after the procedure is minimal.
Liposuction may take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to complete, depending on the specific areas to be treated. Some bruising and swelling at the incision sites is to be expected and will subside within a few days. Pain medication effectively manages any discomfort during the healing process.
Typical Results and Recovery
The results of liposuction can be seen right away and continue to improve as the body heals. Because fat tissue is completely removed from the body, liposuction is considered a permanent solution to localized areas of fat. However, if the patient gains a significant amount of weight after treatment, more areas can appear and require treatment.
A Mommy Makeover is a combination of surgical procedures used to help a woman regain the body contours and shape she had prior to childbirth. Pregnancy and nursing can take its toll on a woman’s body, resulting in lax abdominal muscles and sagging, deflated breasts.
Using a combination of breast and tummy procedures, women can regain their youthful body contour after their childbearing years are over. A single procedure means less cost and recovery time for the patient with dramatic results.
Depending on the specific procedures, a Mommy Makeover can be used to address the following concerns:
- Protruding abdomen that won’t respond to diet and exercise
- Breasts that have lost their lift and volume through breastfeeding
- Isolated pockets of fat in the mid-section, hips and thighs
- Excess abdominal skin with stretch marks below the belly button
Our expert staff will consult with you to carefully evaluate and identify specific areas of concern and recommend the best procedures for your needs.
About the Procedure
Mommy makeovers typically include a combination of one or more of the following procedures:
- Tummy Tuck: Also known as an abdominoplasty, this procedure tightens the underlying structure of the abdomen for a smoother, leaner contour. Tummy tucks also remove excess skin below the belly button, so stretch marks in this area may also be eliminated in the process. Tummy tucks are performed under general anesthesia and typically require a period of approximately six weeks for full recovery.
- Breast Augmentation: If the breasts need lost volume restored, a breast augmentation may be recommended. This procedure involves the insertion of breast implants to provide fullness and volume. Implants may be saline or silicone, and the size and shape will be customized to the patient’s specific body shape and size. Breast augmentation involves incisions in inconspicuous areas of the breast or armpit.
- Breast Lift: This procedure involves lifting sagging breasts to their original position, while removing excess skin for a leaner, firmer look. In some cases, the nipples may also need to be repositioned to ensure the most natural results. Breast lifts may be performed alone or in conjunction with breast augmentation or reduction for the best possible look.
- Breast Reduction: Some women notice a significant increase to the size of their breasts after pregnancy. This can be a welcome change, unless the breasts are so large they cause back and shoulder pain and skin rashes. Breast reduction removes excess breast tissue to create breasts that are in better proportion to the rest of the body.
- Liposuction: This procedure is sometimes included in the mommy makeover if the patient has isolated pockets of fat that she (or he) would like to eliminate. During this procedure, liposuction is commonly used to create a smoother contour around the hips, buttocks, thighs and mid-section.
Typical Results and Recovery
The results of a Mommy Makeover are evident right away and continue to improve as the body heals. Most patients require at least two weeks off work and regular activities to recover from the extensive procedure. However, once healing is complete, the effects of a Mommy Makeover are considered permanent as long as a healthy weight is maintained after the procedure.